Background

Monday, December 15, 2014

Day 10: Christmas Card Storage

    Happy Rainy Monday, everyone! I'm excited to share today's 12 Days of a CTMH Christmas with you all! A fellow consultant, Melissa Laverty, posted a really great idea on her blog a couple weeks ago about storing Christmas cards! I loved her idea so much I scraplifted it to share with all of you!

    I love CTMH's 8x8 Kraft Mini Albums! They're perfect for any type of project, and are so much fun to decorate! Today I'm going to show you how to use the Kraft Album to organize all the Christmas cards and photos that you receive this year!

What You'll Need:

1. 8x8 Kraft Album
2. Holiday Happenings Assortment
3. Snowhaven Paper Pack
4. Snowhaven Complements
5. Gold Sequins
6. Sanding Kit
7. Foam Tape
8. Your Christmas Cards

Cover of the Kraft 8x8 Christmas Card Album

    I started by choosing Snowhaven papers that I wanted to use as the base of my album. I chose the Black snowflake pattern and cut it down to 8 5/16" x 8 3/4"! I then sanded the edges of my Snowhaven paper to expose the white core on the sides.

    From here I cut leftover scraps of Snowhaven paper down to add strips of paper on the left side, and added mounted paper behind my sentiment. The "Christmas Cheer" sentiment card can be found in the Holiday Happenings Assortment pack! The large circle embellishment can be found on the Snowhaven Complements pack or, you can do what I did, print extra embellishments on the bottom of your Studio J layouts to cut out and use!

Close up of some Snowhaven embellishments I added to the bottom of my Christmas card Studio J project!

    I popped the sentiment 4"x6" card up with foam tape and added some gold sequins to the cover as well. I still want to decorate the spine with the year and maybe some ribbon, but I haven't gotten to that yet!


    I wanted to cut some "base" cardstock sheets for the inside of my album so that I could mount some of the newsletters and cards that were together (or from one family). I cut Whisper, Glacier, and White Daisy cardstock down to 7 5/8" x 8", and punched holes in them at 1 1/4", 4", and 6 3/4" (and about 3/16" from the edge).

Inside blank pages
    Next I started adding my Christmas cards. Now I'm not an up-to-date scrapbooker. I'm at least 30 years behind (and yes I'm only 31)....so these Christmas cards are actually from 2013! I found them in my "save" stash, though, and started punching holes and inserting them in my album.

   I wanted to make sure my holes lined up on my cards, so I used one of the base sheets to help line up my holes. Then I punched each hole by hand. It sounds tedious, but really it doesn't take long! I was able to get it done in a couple hours!

Open inside front cover and the start of my Christmas cards

View of the side (and I still have room if I wanted to add more)!!
    I staggered the photos, cards, and newsletters throughout the book so that neither top nor bottom was too bulky. For some of the newsletters, I mounted them directly on the base sheets (cutting the newsletters down on the sides if need be).

The newsletter that came with this photo card is mounted on a base sheet behind it. I folded up the bottom so that it wouldn't hang out of the book.
  
    Some of my newsletters, though, were double sided, and I didn't want to glue these down and lose the information. So I came up with a solution. I punched holes in the newsletter with the folded up piece from the bottom in place.

Photos were on the back of this newsletter, so I folded up the bottom and punched holes in it.
  
    However, I still wanted to be able to read the newsletter while it was in the book, so I doctored the bottom flap to flip open.

Newsletter from above flipped open
I was able to flip it because I notched the bottom flap hole to pull apart when needed!
  
    That's it! It was really fun and easy to put together, and it now can be displayed on our bookshelves and compared to this year's Christmas cards!

    I hope you enjoyed this little Christmas project today! I have extra 8x8 Kraft albums on hand if anyone in the area would like to pick one up before the holidays! Otherwise, you can add it to your next order and take advantage of all the December specials going on right now, too!

    Have a great rest of your day, and until next time:

Here's to life, love, and creativity!

No comments:

Post a Comment