Background

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Party Time

    Happy Wednesday, everyone! I hope you all had a wonderful week this week! The dog days of summer are officially upon us up here in Minnesota, and just in time for the Minnesota State Fair! Ian and I are planning on going to the fair this year, and I'm super excited!

    I love fairs! Maybe it has something to do with the great memories I have of being in 4H when I was younger! I really love looking at all the exhibits, watching the cattle judging (it's the best), and of course eating all the amazing (and oh so healthy) food! I'm hoping that we can go while it's still cool this week, but we'll see how the weather holds up for us!

    Today I wanted to show you a little project I did a couple weeks ago! My cousin, Kim, is getting married in October and I am in the wedding! So two weekends ago was when we (my sister, the matron of honor, and I) threw her a bridal shower and bachelorette party in Southern Wisconsin! It was a ton of fun, and I think the party turned out really cute! I didn't have a lot of time to plan everything, but I always do better when I'm under pressure any way! Besides, I don't have time to change my mind or my decor when I only have a couple days to get it all together!

    I ended up ordering the Bridal Shower invitations online through "Wedding Paper Divas" because I was not home enough in July to make them myself. We knew we were going to have a brunch style shower, and WPD had the perfect chalkboard themed invite! I added the details and played with some shading, and TA-DAH!!!.....completed invites!


    I sent the shower invites out with a Save-the-Date notice for the Bachelorette Party. I wanted to make these a little more personal, but also needed to finalize some details before the actual invitations were sent. These turned out super cute, too! I ordered the formal side of the Bachelorette Invitations through Snapfish, and then printed them at Walmart here in town!

The save-the-date information for the Bachelorette party.
The formal invitation for the Bachelorette party.
    I then cut out a lingerie die-cut on my Cricut and embossed it to look like lace. I printed some more detailed information from my computer and pasted that to the back of the lingerie, and sent those out to the ladies invited to the Bachelorette! They turned out super cute, too!


    Then last week I needed to start finalizing details and come up with party decor! I love planning parties, but this was definitely last minute for me! I decided to use the chalkboard theme to match the shower invitations, and then I added pops of color using Kim's wedding colors (teal and burnt orange)! It was really fun to put together, and I got to play in my new craft room on my new island! Woohoo!


    First, I wanted to come up with a centerpiece for each table. I saw a chalkboard technique on Pinterest using wine bottles, and thought I would try it! I had a lot of old wine that we were given a couple years ago (and forgot about), and I had chalkboard paint left over from other projects! So I soaked the bottles, removed the labels, sanded, primed, and painted them to make chalkboard wine bottles!


    I then used CTMH's Chalk Marker to write the word love on each bottle! I wrapped the neck in lace and teal ribbon, and then used leftover curly ting from my wedding (2 years ago) in each bottle! I then die-cut some paper hearts from some faux vintage book paper to place around each bottle on the tables.

    I also used the same painting technique on some Ikea square vases and wrote "happily ever after" (one word on each vase). Then I put some curly ting and some faux fall branches (also left over from my wedding) in each one for the entry table. We had chalkboard name tags and journal cards from the Picture My Life: For Always collection on the table, too! Everyone that attended could leave a note for the bride, and then we put the cards and pictures in a small album for her!


    The next thing I made were burlap banners for the food and gift tables! These were messy little guys to make, but super easy and really cute when they were done! I had a roll of landscape burlap from Menards that I had used at Kim's baby shower last year. I cut triangle banners from this, sewed them together with my mini-craft sewing machine, and then added lace, ribbon, and paper flowers to the ends! They really added a rustic country theme to the simple decor I had going! It was really pretty!


    Here's a couple pictures of our food table set up for brunch:

Muffins, cheesecake bars, fruit and veggie pizzas, mini donuts, and mini quiches
Fresh fruit and yogurt bar, homemade granola, coffee cake, and mini bagels with cream cheese
    I found some ideas for games on Pinterest, and then made them my own to match the decor! The first game we played was a matching game using quotes from romantic movies! The ladies worked on it while they enjoyed their brunch! Then I gave prizes to the top two highest scores!


    Then we played another game where the ladies had less than a minute to study the bride. Then the future bride went into the next room, and the ladies were given a questionaire about what the bride was wearing! It was a ton of fun, and everyone did really well! I gave prizes to the top three highest scores for that game since we had a tie!


   The prize bags were super cute! I used burlap bags, the same lace that I used on the wine bottles, and some vellum flowers that I had in my stash! I used Liquid Glass to glue the ends of the lace to the bag, and used a brad to secure the flower to the front! Then I used pre-printed tags from "My Mind's Eye Chalk Collection" and tied those to the top of the bag!


    Each prize bag was filled with a nail file, my favorite color of nail polish from "Sinful Colors" called "Nirvana" (very pretty for fall), a fall mini-mason jar candle from Bath & Body Works, a chocolate candy bar, mini hand sanitizer from Bath & Body works (also a new fall collection scent), and mini hand lotion! Each bag was less than $10/bag! I love party planning!

    We had a great time, and the Bachelorette later that night was a huge hit as well! We had a mini wine and hors d'oeuvres bar, hung out in the hotel room for cocktails, and went to The Melting Pot for dinner! It was the perfect night out with the girls! :)

    So that's what I was busy doing at the beginning of this month! I hope you enjoyed looking at all my party planning efforts! Until next time:

Here's to life, love, and creativity!

No comments:

Post a Comment